Saturday, May 12, 2012

Early Book Programs Develop Reading Children

Book centered programs for toddlers and young children play a valuable role in developing strong reading students later on. Through the use of simple books, finger plays, activities, and movement even crawling tots can be immersed in literacy.  Developmentally appropriate books, play, and activities help reinforce skills necessary for later reading success.

Everything has a purpose and working with children is never "filler" but a crucial and vital task deserving of the best funding, best quality training, and outstanding personnel.

BOOKS!  (M. Hudson)
Books, books, books!  /   Read, read, read!
Hey, everybody, that’s what I need!  (REPEAT)
Read-to-me, read-to-me, read-to-me YEAH!  
Read-to-me, read-to-me, read-to-me YEAH!  (REPEAT)

Apple Tree (Adapted from Traditional, M. Hudson)

There’s a BIG old apple tree!
See those RED apples -
GRINNING down at me?
SHAKE that tree so very, very hard
PICKING up the apples all over my yard!

Repetitions involve students in a fun and positive manner while helping them in the physical use of language (speaking out loud, pronunciation, inflections, etc.).

No comments: